If you try this recipe tag us in your pics, we can’t wait to see your masterpieces!
Italian risotto with radicchio, pancetta, taleggio and red wine
Perhaps due to our geographical position (Piedmont is famous for its risotto tradition, from truffle risotto to panissa, a regional recipe based on rice and beans) risotto is one of our family's favorite dishes. Today we want to teach you how to make the perfect risotto al radicchio, the Ruffoni way.
Keywords: Italian risotto, risotto, red wine, taleggio
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Start by heating the stock in a stockpot over medium heat and once it begins to bubble reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Pour a tablespoon of EVOO in your Chef Pan, add the chopped pancetta or bacon, if using, and turn on a low flame. Pancetta (or bacon) needs time and gentle heat for the fat to soften and render, so be patient!
- After 2-3 minutes pancetta will start to color and sizzle and the fat will have reduced. Add finely chopped onion and cook for approx 3 minutes, until soft and slightly translucent - do not brown them. You can skip straight to this step if not using the pancetta, but use 2 tbsps of EVOO then.
- Add the rice. In the Ruffoni family, risotto rice is measured as two handfuls per person, plus one for the pot. Feel free to use cups instead!
- Toss the rice around to coat, and cook until toasted: it will start releasing a warm aroma and look translucent around the edges. Over medium heat, in a highly conductive chef pan, this won't take more than 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine, stir through, and let it bubble so the alcohol evaporates.
- Once the wine is absorbed, start to add the hot stock, a cup at a time, stirring it in each time and waiting for each addition to be absorbed before adding more.
- After approximately 10-12 minutes, the rice will be nearly done. Add the chopped up radicchio with another ladle of stock and stir it through so it will wilt quickly.
- After a couple more minutes, your risotto should be cooked: the grains will still be separate and slightly resistant to the bite but surrounded in a thick, delicious sauce.
- Remove the pan from the heat and vigorously stir in the fontina cheese and butter so they emulsify, making the risotto even more creamy and delicious. Let it rest for 2 minutes, then serve and eat immediately.
- Buon appetito!