Frequently asked questions
What should I know before I start using my Ruffoni cookware?
• Never heat the pot empty – always add water, oil, butter or a fat of your choice, before turning on the flame.
• Cook on low/medium heat and adjust the temperature as you go – high temperatures are not necessary and can damage your copper cookware. Do not exceed 450 F (230 C), or 430 F (220 C) if the copper is tin-lined.
• Match the size of your cookware with the size of the burner – do not extend the flame beyond the diameter of the cookware.
• Avoid scratching the inside of your cookware with metal utensils or scouring pads – use wood, plastic or silicon tools.
• All our cookware can be used in the oven — do not exceed 450 F (230 C), or 430 F (220 C) if the copper is tin-lined.
• Always use oven mitts as handles and finials, especially those made of bronze, can get hot.
• Do not store leftovers in your cookware – use cookware to prepare and serve your meals at the table, then transfer any leftovers to an appropriate storage container and wash and dry the pan as per instructions.
How thick are Ruffoni copper pieces?
The thickness of Ruffoni pieces depends on different factors: the collection, the specific shape and size, the intended purpose, and the year of manufacture.
As we aim to strike the perfect balance between even heat conductivity, responsiveness, speed in heating-up and cooling down, and ease of lift and maneuvering, the thickness of the copper layer in most of our pieces ranges between 1-2mm.
Would you recommend tin or stainless steel lining?
The choice between tin and stainless steel is subject to personal preferences as both these materials are great for cooking. We recommend you have a look at their different benefits to choose what best suits your cooking style.
• Tin is a traditional, nickel-free choice. It’s naturally low-stick and has an unmatched heat conductivity. Its maximum temperature however is lower than stainless steel and it can be scratched by metal utensils. Please note that after many years of everyday use (or some years of improper care) your tin-lined cookware will require retinning
• Stainless steel is scratch-resistant, easier to care for than traditional tin lining, and will not require retinning. However, it’s slightly less heat-responsive, requires more control in order to avoid sticking, and it's generally heavier and more expensive.
Is stainless steel prone to sticking?
While not being as naturally low-stick as tin, or chemically engineered to avoid sticking as Teflon/non-stick, stainless steel is a practical, scratch-resistant material appreciated by home chefs all around the world. If you are used to non-stick pans, we recommend you start cooking on low/medium heat, adjusting the temperature as you go – the thick aluminum core of your Ruffoni stainless steel cookware guarantees a perfectly even heat distribution without the need for high temperatures.
Can I use Ruffoni cookware on induction cooktops?
Copper is a non-ferrous, non-magnetic metal, so our copper cookware isn't induction-suitable, but we do offer best-in-class clad stainless steel cookware that is ideal for induction cooktops.
Can I use Ruffoni cookware on electric cooktops?
We recommend using all our copper cookware, and especially the tin-lined collection, on gas cooktops to fully appreciate their exceptional heat responsiveness, but electric cooktops can also be used. Remember to always pour an oil, fat or liquid into your cookware before turning on the heat, start cooking on low-med heat, match the size of the burner with the size of the pan, and make sure not to overheat.
Can I use Ruffoni cookware on AGA cookers?
All our cookware can be used on AGA cooktops. We recommend using our Historia collection specifically on gas stoves and open flame where its responsiveness can be truly appreciated and where it’s easier to modulate the heat, but AGA cookers can also be used.
What can’t I cook in my (tin-lined) copper cookware?
You can cook pretty much anything in your tin-lined Ruffoni copper that doesn't require very high heat and/or heating an empty pan: we recommend switching to our stainless steel lined collections for searing thick steaks, stir frying at high-temperatures, dry-toasting seeds or whole spices and cooking/baking bread.
Be also mindful
of acidic foods such as lemon juice, wine and tomatoes. The occasional use of these ingredients is perfectly fine, but we recommend picking a stainless steel lined piece in the case of frequent use of high-concentrated acidic foods as these substances may shorten the tin lining's lifespan (e.g., for the daily boiling of water and lemon).
How can I clean my Ruffoni?
We recommend washing your Ruffoni cookware inside and outside by hand, with warm water, regular non-aggressive dish soap, and a soft sponge.
When following use directions and keeping the cooking temperature low-med, sticking should not happen. If there is any food stuck to the inside, refrain from scrubbing with scouring pads – instead soak your Ruffoni with hot, soapy water to soften and release any food residue. After washing, rinse well and dry immediately to prevent the formation of water stains.
Can I wash my Ruffoni in the dishwasher?
We recommend that you do not wash your Ruffoni in the dishwasher – harsh detergents can tarnish copper surfaces, tin linings and silver finials, dull the shiny surface of your pots and pans and cause rim corrosion.
How can I polish my copper cookware?
With use, copper develops a rich patina that many love and cherish.
To restore a polished shine there are many good products available for purchase in the US – we especially appreciate Kleen King powder and Wright's Copper Cream – but if you’re out of your favorite cleaner or prefer a natural approach, we recommend a tried-and-tested nonna’s remedy: mix fine salt and an acidic ingredient (lemon juice or vinegar), rub gently all over the tarnished copper surface, then rinse off and dry well. Click here to watch Rita Ruffoni demonstrate this simple yet powerful method.
Can I remove the knob to clean or polish the lid?
You can remove the knob of your Ruffoni, however turning the finial can leave indelible scratch marks on the lid so we recommend the utmost caution. To safely remove your cookware knobs:
• Loosen the knob’s screw placed under the lid while holding the finial firmly onto the lid.
• When the screw is loose, gently lift the finial, paying attention not to scratch the lid.
• Be equally careful when repositioning the finial onto the lid – remember to always turn the screw, not the knob.
Should I oil my Ruffoni Olivewood accessories?
We recommend oiling your Olivewood cutting boards every couple of months or whenever dry to the touch. Oiling your natural wood accessories periodically will maintain them in perfect conditions, making the wood glow.
My copper cookware have changed color/have discolored
All real copper cookware, Ruffoni included, will naturally tarnish when exposed to air, heat and humidity – turning pink, silver, yellow or even iridescent. With continued use, the tarnish will evolve into a solid dark brown patina, coveted by copper collectors and enthusiasts alike. This rich, cherished patina can easily be removed to bring back the shiny polish of brand new copper. Please refer to the question above for our cleaning tips.
The tin inside my Ruffoni Historia has become iridescent, spotty or changed color
The tin-lining of your Historia cookware will likely change color, become iridescent and spotty, then darken over time. The colors and timing of this will vary, but rest assured that this is perfectly normal and safe, does not affect the quality of the product or its performance, and it’s not an indicator of a need for re-tinning (as this is only needed when copper becomes clearly visible through the bottom).
To restore the tin lining original shine we recommend a non-toxic, food-safe, galvanic technique:
• Remove any food residue.
• Fill the cookware to the brim with water and bring to a boil.
• Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 tbs sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and 1 tbs table salt.
• Make a pad of four folds of aluminum foil to cover the bottom of your cookware.
• Submerge the aluminum foil in the pan and use a small ceramic or pyrex bowl to hold it in place – Do not use a metal bowl as it will interrupt the galvanic process!
• Let sit for at least 15 minutes to complete the reaction.
• Remove the aluminum foil and wash your cookware by hand, with warm water, regular non-aggressive dish soap, and a soft sponge – Any tarnish not transferred to the foil will wipe easily away.
The tin inside my Ruffoni Historia is no longer smooth. When I touch it i can feel tiny lumps / grains
Small lumps / grains on the tin lining of your Historia cookware are a result of overheating. Luckily, your tin-lined pot is still perfectly usable and safe.
To prevent overheating:
• never heat the pot empty – always add water, oil, butter or a fat of your choice, before turning on the flame.
• Cook on low/medium heat and adjust the temperature as you go – high temperatures are not necessary and can damage your copper cookware.
Do not exceed 450 F (230 C), or 430 F (220 C) if the copper is tin-lined.
• Match the size of your cookware with the size of the burner – do not extend the flame beyond the diameter of the cookware.
The stainless steel inside my Ruffoni cookware has become iridescent, spotty or changed color
This multicolored phenomenon – known as “heat tint”– is purely cosmetic and does not affect the quality of the product or its performance. To restore the stainless steel lining's original shine we recommend using a commercial cleaner (e.g. Bar Keepers Friend) or a little white vinegar diluted with water.
The silver plated finials of my Opus Prima/Opus Cupra have darkened
To restore the silver plating shine we recommend using a silver polishing glove or cloth. We do not recommend silver polishing creams as they can get stuck in the little nooks and crannies of our intricate designs and be hard to remove.
When should I re-tin my copper cookware?
We recommend discontinuing use of your cookware and having it retinned when the tin-lining of your Ruffoni wears out and copper becomes clearly visible through the bottom as it may react with acidic foods.
The lifespan of tin lining will vary depending on frequency of use, temperature ranges, and type of foods cooked – It can also be drastically shortened in even a single instance of misuse, such as overheating, boiling dry, or scratching. However, when use and care instructions are followed, we often see well-loved pans getting retinned only after 10 or 20 years of regular home use.
Does Ruffoni re-tin cookware?
We do offer a retinning service for our cookware, but over time we have found that for US customers it is faster and more cost-effective to have the cookware retinned nationally – this way avoiding international shipping and customs clearance.
Luckily, many tried-and-tested local options exist. We especially recommend Rocky Mountain retinning: mention that you have Ruffoni pieces in need of retinning and they will grant you a 15% discount.
Rocky Mountain Retinning
5815 W 52nd Ave
Denver, CO 80212
The product I want is out of stock
To create the pots and pans we know and love without compromising on quality, we craft all of our cookware in Italy in very small batches. The pots are then shipped to our warehouse in California, US where we hold a limited stock of items ready for shipping. This allows us to offer free ground shipping on all us.ruffoni.net orders but unfortunately doesn’t allow for frequent restocks.
If a product you are looking for is currently out of stock, you can enter your email address to be notified when it comes back in stock or contact us to arrange a custom shipment from Italy. Please make sure you read our Conditions of Sale before ordering
I want to return my order
If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days of ordering for a refund:
• Fill this form, print it, and enclose it in your return
• Make sure that your Ruffoni is in the same condition it was received, and in its original packaging
• Send your package “Freight Prepaid” via UPS or Insured Parcel Post (USPS) to:
2005 Meyer Way
Fairfield, CA 94533
Us.ruffoni.net will not be responsible for packages that are not received: make sure to keep your parcel’s receipt and tracking number until your refund has been credited. Please note that the shipping charges are non-refundable.
• Your return will be processed once it arrives at our warehouse and your credit will be issued within 30 days
Please note: orders placed directly with our workshop in Italy are non returnable, unless damaged or faulty. Please read our Conditions of Sale before ordering.
How long will it take to get my order?
We ship across the United States from Fairfield, California and we offer two shipping methods:
• Ground shipping, always free: please expect 1-2 business days for processing your order and 3-7 business days for UPS to deliver, depending on location
• Expedited shipping: shipping charges are calculated per total product weight and ship-to address. Please expect 1-2 business days for processing your order and approx 2 business days for UPS to deliver, depending on location
We’ll send you an email with the UPS tracking number to monitor your order status as soon as it leaves our warehouse.Please note that orders to an Army Post Office (APO), Fleet Post Office (FPO), or PO Box will be fulfilled via USPS instead and may take longer to arrive.
My order is delayed/missing
Unfortunately, sometimes packages get lost. If, after placing your order, you have not received:
• Tracking information from us within 5 business days
• Your package within 9 business days
Please contact us at email@example.com or (877) 399-2110 with your order number so that we can make it right.
Can I buy spare parts for my Ruffoni?
If during a move you have lost the lid of one of your Ruffoni, or you need other spare parts, please write us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying what you are looking for (photos are always useful!) and your full shipping address – we’ll provide a quote to custom-order it directly from Italy.
I want to order something that’s not available on us.ruffoni.net
If a product you are looking for is not available for purchase on us.ruffoni.net, you can custom order it directly from our workshop in Omegna, Italy. Fill up this form and our colleagues will reach back to you with all the information. Please ensure you read and agree to the following Conditions of Sale before ordering:
The price indicated includes shipping to the contiguous 48 US states. Due to high transport costs, we aren't able to ship orders under EUR 150 at this time. Items below EUR 150 can be shipped as part of a larger order.
Please note that the price indicated is in Euro. If you submit an order, we will send you a payment request through PayPal, which will contain a secure link to pay. You do not need a PayPal account to use this, you can "checkout as Guest" and use any credit or debit card of your choice.
After receiving payment, we will normally ship your order in approx 1 working week, and expect it to take approx 1 week in transport. If any significant delays are expected, we'll write to let you know before proceeding!
Occasionally, customs authorities might stop a shipment and request the receiver to pay import duties. We have heard of this happening only a few times and in moderate amounts from our customers so far, but we aren't able to predict if this will happen, and if so, in what amount. Custom duties may vary between countries and states and are the responsibility of the receiver.
Orders placed directly from the workshop are non-returnable. Of course, we always guarantee the quality of our products, so in the rare instance that you receive a damaged piece, please let us know and we'll make it right.